Maud 1 - 3 Ellon Utd

North Superleague

7th March 2020


Maud Junior Football Club

This important bottom of the league game kicked off with both teams knowing that only 3 points would probably determine their future in the superleague. Ellon took the first chance in the second minute with a free kick which came to nothing. Maud came back with a series of corners but couldn't convert. Good linking play between Masson and Thompson put him through on the keeper but his final delivery went over the bar. A close call involving the ref and far side assistant saw Masson's claim for a penalty over ruled and a free kick given millimetres beyond the 18 yard line, up stepped Kidd whose shot went over the wall but glanced off the crossbar. Again as Maud pressed forward but denied by Kirton in goals. Ritchie in Mauds goals was called into action when Ellon broke clear forcing him to tip the ball over the bar for a corner which came to nothing. Ellon forced a corner which was crossed in and not cleared properly ending by being scrambled in by Coutts for Ellon to take the lead. Maud pushed forward and Quantrill clear down the right wing could only see his weak shot go past the left side post. Maud won another corner but the cross in was headed past the right side post. Ellon further increased their lead only to see the ref and assistant change their minds after a long discussion and chalk the goal off. Ellon got the ball into Maud's 18 yard box and a strong challenge on Sim saw the ref point to the penalty spot. Maud players vented their disgust with the refs descision and again another long discussion between the ref and dugout assistant finally confirmed that the descision stood. Up stepped Tait and sent Ritchie the wrong way to double their lead. Maud manager Park received a yellow for disputing the decision. Ellon broke up the left and sent in a high floating ball to the far post missed by Ritchie allowing Thompson to tap in at the back post.

The second half kicked off and Maud tried hard to press forward and for some time play flowed from end to end with neither team creating any clear cut chances. Halfway through the second half Maud won a free kick out wide on the right, Launched in by Kidd to the far post it was finally converted by Stainton to pull one back for Maud. Unfortunately the clock ticked down and Maud couldn't add to their tally so as the final whistle went Ellon ran out the deserved winners. Maud were left counting the cost of a poor performance, missed chances, some weird descisions from the officials and their manager being sent off after arguing the penalty decision at the end of the first half. Next week Maud's season continues away to Culter in the McLemmon cup with 2pm KO.