Culter 2 - 3 Maud

Grill League Cup Semi Final

7th October 2017


Maud Junior Football Club

Maud: Fyfe, Stewart, Hale, Hendry, Lawson, Thomson, Fowlie, Norris, Smart, Duguid, Berton

Subs: Grant GK, Ritchie, Gill, E Grant, Hall

Maud travelled to face Culter with a place in the Grill league Cup Final up for grabs. The away side got off to a flyer when a corner was swung in and it was headed on at the front post and Smart reacted first with his diving header hitting the back of the net. A Duguid free kick from 20 yards was straight at Buchanan. Against the run of play Culter were then awarded a penalty when the linesman was seen flagging furiously to attract the referee’s attention and then the ref pointed to a penalty which Liam Bain smashed home to level the score. Minutes later a break on the left from Culter and Gordon cut in and his fierce drive beat Fyfe at his near post. Maud were then forced into a change with Ritchie replacing the injured Stuart. Fyffe made a vital save from a Gordon shot then Maud broke up field with Smart leading the attack but he was cruelly taken out by Horne earning the player a caution.

HT 2 - 1

Hendry went close with a header from a Norris corner as Maud pressed from the start. Buchanan made a vital save with his legs from a Ritchie shot then a Fowlie pass split the Culter defence and Norris ran in on goal and calmly slotted past the diving Buchanan to level the score. A Thomson cross nearly caught out Buchanan in the home goals but he managed to tip the ball out for a corner home. Merton was unmarked inside the box but his header back across goal only found Buchanan. Ritchie combined with Duguid and the latter’s shot went inches wide. Both Duguid and Merton sent balls across the 6 yard box in quick succession but there were no takers in the middle. Maud went in front with a Thomson header flew past Buchanan from a Norris corner. Culter with a rare attack went close with a Stewart shot skimming the post then a header by Horne was headed off the line by Hale. Buchanan made a stunning  one handed save from a 20 yard shot from Merton. The whistle went for Full Time which was greeted with cheers from the Maud supporters and Committee.               FT 2 - 3

This was a brilliant performance by Maud with all players playing their part. Maud had full control from start to finish in the second half which ended in a richly deserved win and now face Dyce in the Final.

Maud next match is at home in the Superleague against Banchory St Ternan on Saturday 14 October with a 2pm ko